Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 17:54:36 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        thierry.herbelot@alcatel.fr
Cc:        Geff Hanoian <boing@kusanagi.boing.com>, aa8vb@ipass.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: burning a cd

On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 09:25:07AM +0200, Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is just for the record (to get it archived)
>
> I found out that you need the "pass" device when you use cdrecord with
> SCSI CD burners (this could be in pkg/DESCR ?)

i will keep an eye  out for this, thank you.

> There are two ways for burning CDs :
> - an ATAPI burner is directly driven via the acd device and wormcontrol
> (just like the example scripts show)
> - an SCSI burner is only usable via cdrecord (and the "pass" device) -
> the example script in share/examples/worm is confusing in using the
> deprecated scsi(8) command and wormcontrol after that : cd(4), the SCSI
> cd driver, does not support WORM ioctls
>
> Anyway, cdrecord seems to be working (I've got at least one defective CD
> out of ten) and mkhybrid is a good help for mastering Joliet CDs.

this is good news thank you, i've been wondering how to do
joliet cds for the ms windows clients out thier in our target
audience.

> 	TfH
>

> jonathan michaels wrote:

a small question regarding this teh ricoh 6200s its not
available here in asutralia but a similar one is being sold but
in its marketing droid sheet it 'proudly proclaims' to be 'plug
and play' ... i've already got a unaccessible ppro because of a
plug and pray smc9432tx nic i'm not keen on adding another
p'npray device.

i was thinking that maybe it is just the scsi host adapter that
might be the plug and pray part of this 'device' ... yes ?

also we have on sale here some very nice panasonic cd writers
(data and audio) on real nice feature is that the panasonic
will duplicate a cd without the user having to produce an iso
image first.

from what i understood of the sales talk, the panasonic
emulates in hardware someting like a unix dump or pax or a read
from the source cd device and a dd type write to the cdrom
writing panasonic ... also it will write a full cdrom in only 9
or so minutes. this panasonic requires a 'real scsi host
adpater, that is a aha 2940 or a '875 something like that. the
'scsi paddle boards' like the old aha 1520 and 1510's are
suitable fro this cdwriter.

i was given the url .. but i've misplace teh wetware sector i
stored the data .. grin. i'm sure it can be found by browsing
the national panasonic (a japanesse company, matshushita is teh
conglomerate source).

> > > 4416s here, excellent drive!

both of these -- 4416 and 4260 are available here in australia
for about $AUD700 this is for a glossy box lots of software and
of course the cd-writer.

ps the panasonic (its a 9xxx seris product id) sells for about
$AUD1000 .. its not cheap but then it does a lot of things the
others dont do and it is also a fast device (20x read for std
mode).

again thank you all who replied.

regards

jonathan