Date:      Tue, 08 Jan 2002 17:05:16 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@ptavv.es.net>
To:        Kaming <kaming@digital.etowns.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup to 4.4-stable

> From: Kaming <kaming@digital.etowns.net>
> Date: 08 Jan 2002 14:52:40 +0800
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am a newbie of freebsd.... I tried to cvsup by just type cvsup
> /usr/share/example/cvsup/stable-supfile and then copy the
> /etc/default/make.conf to /etc and do the 'make buildworld; make
> installworld'. After that I compile kernel and reboot it. I found that
> it is 4.5-PRERELEASE. I just do the same thing few week ago and it
> showed that it is 4.4-STABLE..... Did I do sth wrong?? I hope to make it
> to be 4.4-STABLE.... Anyone can help???

You have cvsuped to the stable branch of FreeBSD V4 which is tagged
RELENG_4 and is currently named 4.5-PRERELEASE. It will soon be named
4.5-RC1 and eventually 4.5-STABLE. All are stable at different points
on the path that produces a snapshot that is tagged as a release. (So
you did nothing wrong.)

Please refer to the handbook section on "The Cutting Edge" for a
detailed description.

Also, DON'T copy and /etc/defaults file into etc! The way it works is
that /etc files carry CHANGES to the values supplied in the
/etc/defaults files. SO never edit the /etc/defaults and don't copy
them into etc. Just create a /etc file with changes you wish to make
to the defaults.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)