Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:42:32 -0700
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-fbsd@codelabs.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: call for testers: altq in current

Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> Nate, good day.
>
> Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 05:56:14AM +0000, nate@root.org wrote:
>> A few weeks ago, I committed a change to ALTQ that I was only able to
>> compile-test.  What I need is someone with a laptop or other
>> cpufreq-capable system that is also using ALTQ to verify that with
>> powerd running, the queuing timing is now reliable.
>
> I see no difference between the -CURRENT from today and from 30th
> March (I see that your commit was made at 26th of March, but I am
> not sure that mu current was updated after it for the -CURRENT
> compiled at 30th of March).
>
> The bad news are that the ALTQ behaves wrong: when the CPU frequency
> is changed the bandwidth changes too. Either I am doing something
> wrong, or your commit should be polished a bit.

First, add a printf at line 915 (end of function tsc_freq_changed() in
sys/contrib/altq/altq/altq_subr.c):
	printf("machclk_freq now %d\n", machclk_freq);

Does it trigger when you change the cpu freq?  Is the number printent
correct (i.e. 400 million for 400 Mhz)?

> My environment is: Asus A2D running AMD Mobile XP, iwi (Intel
> 2915ABG) and 7-CURRENT. The pf rules were:
> -----
> altq on iwi0 bandwidth 3Kb cbq queue { dflt }
> queue dflt bandwidth 100% cbq(default)
> pass out quick log on iwi0 proto tcp from $my_ip to any flags S/AUSPF \
> keep state queue dflt
> -----
>
> The interface is running at 22 Mbit/sec most of the time. No polling
> was enabled. The bandwidth was measured by the ifstat, powerd was
> disabled and I had changed the frequency via sysctl. Four frequencies
> were used: 400, 800, 1600 and 2200. The kernel config included the
> following ALTQ options:
> -----
> options		ALTQ
> options		ALTQ_CBQ
> options		ALTQ_RED
> options		ALTQ_RIO
> options		ALTQ_HFSC
> options		ALTQ_CDNR
> options		ALTQ_PRIQ
> -----
> Basically, I made two tests: WAN and LAN downloading over FTP and
> HTTP.  WAN test was done for the old and new -CURRENTs and LAN test
> was done just for the new -CURRENT. All tests were done in the
> following manner: ifstat was spawned with the delay of 3 seconds,
> files were downloaded by fetch and I manually changed the CPU
> frequency via sysctl.
>
> First two logs, ifstat.bw3Kb.old.wan.log and ifstat.bw3Kb.new.wan.log
> do show the WAN results. The 100 Kbps corresponds to 400 MHz, 200
> Kbps -- to 800 MHz, 410 Kbps -- to 1600 MHz and 560 Kbps -- to 2200
> MHz CPU speed. I thought that I was bounded by the WAN link here.

What was the CPU speed on bootup?

--
Nate