Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:01:35 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        f3z <f3z@iprimus.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sendmail - virtual users?

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, f3z wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to have sendmail store mail for users who dont have accounts?
> (that could then be read by a pop daemon?) I have read the man pages and
> found something called aliases but that doesn't quite do it.

The answer is, "yes," but you'll need to configure your local delivery
for this. It's certainly possible to just tweak the local mailer flags
to deliver mail as a single user - but you still need to teach sendmail
how to figure out if an account exists or not. Since the pop server
will also need some kind of authentication, how you go about this
depends on the pop server.

I believe someone has already responded suggesting adding nologin
accounts - if you've got a small userbase, this is a perfectly feasable
approach.

printf 'cat\nhello world' | `sh -c 'read c; echo $c'`