Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 18:34:03 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        "Gregory P. Smith" <greg@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recomended ISA SCSI Cards

Hi,

Gregory P. Smith wrote:

> > Can anyone recomend any good ISA SCSI cards to use with FreeBSD? -
> > Preferably something that'll work with a machine with >16Mb of RAM etc. - I
> > have a 1542 but it's been nothing but trouble...
> > I'm not too sure I would want to replace an AHA1542 with an AHA1520/22
> > though - unless anyone else has any comments?
>
> "good" and "ISA" should not be used in the same paragraph.

I know, I know... Don't remind me! <G>

> Any "good" ISA SCSI card is busmastering.  The ISA bus only has 24
> address lines, meaning busmastering ISA cards can only access the
> first 16mb of RAM.  Your other option is the port I/O style card such
> as the AHA1522.  These require lots of CPU for the transfer but don't
> have the 16mb limit.

Yep...

> My ISA recommendation is the 1542, followed by a 1522 if you don't like
> the 16mb thing (really, these are your only sane choices).  Most OSes

I have a 1542 - but I've seen theres problems with bounce-buffers and stuff
on the 1542 - I was looking to moving away from it if I can...

> Real recommendation: get a PCI motherboard, they're cheap.

The board allready is a PCI motherboard, I've just about got 1 PCI slot free
- but I'd rather not waste it on a PCI SCSI card when all it's running is a
Zip drive...

I think I'll try to find out the current state of the 1542 vs Bounce buffers
etc. - if not I'll plumb for the 1522... For once 'speed' is not of the
essance... <g>

Regards,

Karl