Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 11:27:57 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        Martina Mohr <martina.mohr@kios.de>
Cc:        questions@Freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: virtual hosts

On Fri, 16 Aug 1996, Martina Mohr wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> I'd like to configured virtual hosts on one machine, with one ethernet
> card. I need it for intallation more then one www servers.
> Thank your for your help !
> Martina

Well, you didn't say what WWW server you use. I use Apache. You'll need
to configure your machine with multiple IP addresses (a.k.a. ifconfig
aliases) like so:

ifconfig de0 192.116.93.20 netmask 255.255.255.255 alias
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ *very* important.
You'll also need to configure your DNS accordingly (I use A records, not
CNAME records, for the additional names).

Then look at your www server docs (Apache's are at http://www.apache.org)
to see how to glue it all together. At least with Apache, there are two
ways of doing it, the simpler one (using one server and one
configuration file with VirtualHost entries) takes no more than 5 minutes to
configure (adding a couple of lines to a configuration file and restarting
the server).

Nadav