Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 19:16:17 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Its arrived

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > My alpha loan machine just arrived!  Does anyone have a plan on how to
> > start off this port?  I guess installing NetBSD would be a good start.
> > Does anyone think Linux/alpha is worth looking at?
>
> Great, really glad to hear that!  I heard from DG that his machine has
> arrived also, so now if Peter and Warner would like to chime in as to
> the status of their shipments, perhaps we can finally put the whole
> Digital loan arrangement hassles behind us and get on with the actual
> port. ;-)
>
> Installing NetBSD would probably not be a bad idea at all, though if
> you're looking for an environment from which to bootstrap your efforts
> (that being why there are 2 drives in those machines with only one
> actually populated :-)

Hmm.  I can only see one drive in this one.  There is space for another so
I might just buy one.

 then you're probably best off with what you've
> got installed on it right now - Digital UNIX.  DUX is a stable
> development platform, it has a decent toolchain (and a compiler which
> generally produces better code that gcc at present) and all the X
> frobs you could possibly want (plus some you probably won't, like CDE :-).

Well I have the machine up and running in DUX and it seems OK so far.  I
even 'improved' our NFS interoperability a bit, working around some
bogosities in DUX's NFS client.

> Of course, you also don't get the source.  That's the really big
> disadvantage of running DUX - you can't see what's going on under the
> hood, so to speak.
>
> I'll also admit that pure laziness largely dictated my own choice - I
> looked at the NetBSD installation and thought "It's distributed as an
> rz25 disk image... Hmmmm.  How very interesting.  Now where did I
> leave that Digital UNIX CDROM?" :-)

I hope that we can improve on NetBSD's alpha install a little...  That is
some way down the line though.

> Before that, I ran Red Hat Linux just to see what they were up to and
> I wasn't much impressed.  You couldn't even build a working kernel
> from the sources distributed with Red Hat 4.1 (something which RH
> admitted to) and stability was not all that marvelous - I managed to
> hang the system quite often just while playing with various X
> utilities.  Getting a reasonable set of sources for RedHat installed,
> after being used to our own /usr/src tree, was also a nightmare by
> comparison. :)

I will probably buy a copy of RedHat anyway just to see what it looks like
and what the install is like.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039