Date:      25 May 1998 20:17:26 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vnconfig + swap with sparse files

Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org> writes:
> I rebooted to stop swapping on the file, and modified my creation program
> to drop a \0 at the beginning of each block.  Sure enough, starting
> swapping this time worked fine.

What you should have done in the first place was:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1048576 count=128

A sparse file cannot possibly work as swap since it does not have any
space allocate to it on the disk, and you *want* to allocate space on
the disk - where else are you going to swap out your data?

--
Noone else has a .sig like this one.