Date:      Mon, 26 May 1997 09:08:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Beattie <beattie@stt3.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEW FEATURE.. RFC will commit unless....

On Sun, 25 May 1997, Julian Elischer wrote:

> I would like feedback on a new feature I want to add to the
> filesystem code.
>
> In addition to the immutible and append flags, we at whistle are
> using a flag NOUNLINK
>
> The action of this flag is to allow the file or dir in question
> to be modified in any way but never deleted.

I would be opposed to this as, unlike the immutible flag, I can not see
how is adds to the robustness or security of the system.  It adds yet
another hidden control and contributes to bloat and feeping creaturisim.
If this must be added it should be an kernel config option, normally off.

I can see "Unremovable file ... even when I log into the system as root I
can not remove this file ... !$%*^)^$# FreeBSD sucks".

Matbe if somebody could explain how this fixes some major problem I might
feel differently.

Brian Beattie                 +1.503.690.1570 x6116
Dynamics Research Corporation
19545 NW Von Neumann Dr       FAX 690.1569
Beaverton, OR 97006-6998      beattie@stt3.com

"I am Pentium of the Borg. Division is futile. you will be approximated!"