Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:19:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: randomdev entropy gathering is really weak

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Jeroen C. van Gelderen wrote:

> You don't care in practice, 256 bits are unguessable.

Actually, I do..that's the entire point of using long keys.

> If you do care, you load a different random module :-)

The core of my complaint is that even though our old PRNG did crappy
entropy handling, we used to have such a method, which is now gone. I'd
like to see yarrow hang off /dev/urandom and have /dev/random tap directly
into the entropy pool (perhaps a third pool separate from Yarrow's
fast/slow) so I can generate my large keys safely.

Kris