Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:59:58 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Remarkeable performance boost in FBSD 4.4-STABLE!

Dear Sirs.

Since the first occurence of the dirprefs discussion I got aware of
a performance boost of all of our server systems. One machine,
2GB ECC RAM, 2x 866 PIII CPUs, TYAN Thunder 2500 main PCB and a
AMI Enterprise 1600 RAID controller with 250GB RAID level 5 array
compiled a whole world within 50 minutes (I use make -j 4 due the
fact higher levels won't work and resulted in errors). After
the code include of dirpref the system took only 40 minutes and
this boost was detecteable on all of our systems.

Today I did the last cvsupdate and compile a world and I was wondering
why the system was really early ready with its job! Now a complete
compilation of world take 30 minutes. This performance improofment has
been seen on all of our server systems.
Our scientists aproofed  me that the calculation speed of several Linux
software (Fortran, compiled with Lahey F95 V5.5 under Linuxulator)
has slight improofments, I think this results in SSE enabled.

Well, I don't want to celebrate a great festival, maybe my performance
improofments around here results in a better configuration or a new
mechanism of FBSD to work around worse administrators ... ;-)

But I think this is something I should spread out into the world. While
WindowsXP has been introduced and a lot more of our system resources
went down the stream for more coloured pictures and more brain damaged
stuff - but I see on the other side that elaborating in more efficient
algorithms could have a much better 'impact' than 'verything new' for
this MCDonalds-damaged, fast food world.
Thanks.

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)