Date:      Sun, 4 May 2003 10:03:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        "Cliff L. Biffle" <cbiffle@safety.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reproduceable kernel panic on boot

On Sun, 4 May 2003, Cliff L. Biffle wrote:

> I'd like to attach my kernel configuration, but have no working kernel on the
> machine.  Yay.  It's basically GENERIC configured for I586 with at least the
> following added:
> options GEOM_AES, GEOM_BDE, GEOM_BSD, GEOM_GPT, GEOM_MBR, GEOM_VOL
> options PSM_RESETAFTERSUSPEND
> options CPU_SUSP_HLT, CPU_WT_ALLOC, NO_F00F_HACK, NO_MEMORY_HOLE
>
> The machine is a K6-2; I've uncommented the CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS in
> make.conf but left them unchanged, and set cputype to k6-2.
>
> While I am using ccache, I've cleared and reset my caches and the
> problem still occurs.
>
> Please, help!  Now I get to see if I remember how to revert the entire
> tree to a couple days ago. :-)

Recognizing that this is made difficult by the lack of a good kernel on
the box, could you build the same kernel configuration with the addition
of "options DDB"?  This will permit you to get a stack trace for the
problem -- it's a NULL pointer dereference, but without a stack trace, it
could be fairly hard to track down.  If you choose to revert a kernel,
revert to before April 26, or after May 3 to avoid possibly bumping into
the ffs_blkfree() issue. :-)

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories