Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 18:17:04 +0000
From:      Joey Garcia <gummibear@nettaxi.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD: GNOME and GDK locale warnings

Hello!

I have been experiencing some errors when I run GNOME 1.2 built from the
ports collection on FreeBSD 4.0 Release.  It runs quite fine, but the
errors given have me a bit concerned.  Below are some of the locale
warnings that I get in my xinit.log file that I have created.

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

Also, if I run perl programs in an xterm I get similar error messages,
yet the programs continue to run.  Here is an example when I try to run
the command 'which'.

bsd:~/$ which
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_CTYPE = "en_US",
        LANG = (unset)

Now the first thing I do when I run into things like this is try to find
man pages on the subject.  I read the man page for locale, but it didn't
seem to give me anything that would help.  Gave me some ideas, but no
concrete answers.

The man page did point me to /usr/share/locale, but again I found no
concrete answers.  Although, i'm assuming that there must be a shell
variable that needs to be set.  I'm questioning as to why I get these
erros only in xterms and not at the console.  I'm guessing because
xterms aren't actually login shells.  Am I correct?

Anyways, I was hoping to remedy the locale situations so I can get rid
of those pesky error messages.

TIA,

Joey