Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 1995 14:51:17 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, jbryant@server.iadfw.net
Subject:   Re: rename bug

>> > The bug is when a rename(2) is called, the rename happens as per spec,
>> > except that the kernel isn't being updated as to the available space on
>> > the filesystem.  A reboot is needed to recognize the space is available.
>> >
>> > For instance every time we add a user, our root filesystem APPEARS to
>> > have lost 1508k, this is caused when pwd_mkdb renames pwd.db.tmp to
>> > pwd.db, and spwd.db.tmp to spwd.db.

This is fixed in FreeBSD-current and wasn't in FreeBSD-2.0.

>> > I am confident that it is in the rename(2) system call.

Yes, it forgot to clear a reference held by the vm layer, so the old
file didn't go away.

>> can you show me a script(1) of the bug occuring?

	cd /tmp; >x; >y; mv x y; fsck -n ...

This only consumes one inode because `y' is empty.

At first I thought you were saying that there was a problem rebuilding
the password database when the disk is full for other reasons.

Bruce