Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 17:31:12 -0400
From:      Robert Fulford <jbstrt@alltel.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ident,irc, & win2k question

Howdy all....
I previously posted this question in Freebsd-newbies,
and received no answer...please excuse the flooding... :(

I have an unusual setup here at home, and the fact that
I am relatively new to *nix & FreeBSD, which doesn't help
matters much.... :(....Here is what I have to work with..

Netgear RT-338 ISDN router that does NAT exceptionally well
and gets a dynamic IP from my ISP....the internal IP of
the router is 192.168.0.1....I set the DHCP pool on the
Netgear to a pool size of 2 & a starting IP of 192.168.0.2.
This works well with the 2 nic's in the fbsd 4.0 release
box, with dc0 being 192.168.0.2 & hooked to the router.
dc1 is 192.168.150.150 & is hooked to a hub, where 2 Win2k
boxes also connect, <192.168.150.154 & 192.168.150.156>.
I run mIRC version 5.61 on the 2 Win2k boxes, but usually
only use one Win2k box when I am on mIRC. I don't run gated
or routed or any daemons, I just did some persistant routes
on the 2 Win2k boxes & all I have to do after boot-time on
the fbsd box is ping the .154 & the .156 and then do a
route add -net 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1...(seems there is a bug with
4.0 not accepting "sticky" routes, or I have my syntax wrong
in rc.conf, even with .1 being the default_router)....

My goal is to get ident or socks5 or anything working in
a setup like this so I can use mIRC on a Win2k box. I get
"identd not installed" or other similar errors on the Efnet
servers that I would like to use....these servers do not give
me the error when I use the modem on the Win2k to connect to
the ISP & use mIRC...the fbsd box & the router are not in the
loop when using the modem, so it's mainly ident that I need
to get working.....

Here is what some things look like on my fbsd box.....

I have installed & compiled pidentd-2.8.5.tar.gz
I have installed & compiled socks5-v1.0r10.tar.gz
I did not use any arguments when i compiled them.... i just
went to /usr/ports/<where they were> and did a "make depend",
then a "make", then "make install".....it fetched the files it
needed and put them in /usr/ports/distfiles/.

I have a file in /etc/ called socks5.conf which contains....
set SOCKS5_V4SUPPORT
permit - - 192. - - - homers
<i have a user called homers on the fbsd box, he can't su to root>

I also have a /usr/local/etc/socks5.conf. This file is a copy
of the one in /etc/. The man page mentioned both locations as
places it would look, i'll remove the un-needed one later.

i have every option in /etc/inetd.conf remarked out with a  #
i have not made any scripts for identd at all. i tried starting
it as suggested, /usr/local/sbin/identd -S /usr/tmp/socks5.ident,
but it gave me an error....i read the man page on identd and it said
this....
 The -f<config-file> option causes identd to use the  named
 config  file  (instead of the default /etc/identd.conf ?).
 Currently not used: ignored, no config files are used.
Also, i didn't see a -S option in "man identd"...(i had the /usr/tmp/
socks5.ident file as suggested....it was exactly like this...)
set SOCKS5_V4SUPPORT
permit - - 192. - - - homers

i have tried   /usr/local/sbin/identd and then i did a
  /usr/local/bin/socks5 and tried to join an irc server...
no luck at all :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
                                       Jeb