Date:      Thu, 04 Jan 1996 09:05:02 -0800
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        "Ron Weaver" <weaverro@erinet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (Fwd) Re: Install Help Needed

"Ron Weaver" <weaverro@erinet.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply, but : Duh! you mean on my C: drive, of
> course ? Should I use FIPS, so I don't have to restore the 600 mega
> stuff already there ? Thanks again.

I wouldn't use FIPS to do it if you expect to want to mount the DOS slice
under FreeBSD.  There's bug(s) in the msdosfs code in FreeBSD that get
triggered by what FIPS does with the FAT on the DOS slice (you end up
getting corrupted BSD partitions since they would be after the DOS slice
on your disk).  Basically, you have to decide which is better...

1) The convenience of using FIPS and avoiding the backup, re-install &
   restore of your DOS slice.

2) Being able to mount your DOS slice from FreeBSD.

Or at least that's my understanding based on some experience in the matter
of trashed BSD partitions... :-(

Scott Blachowicz    Ph: 206/283-8802x240    StatSci, a div of MathSoft, Inc.
                                            1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                           Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org