Date:      21 Oct 2002 20:09:04 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Ryan Sommers <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GNOME 2.0.4

--=-f4mik5A65ZhE9EMM9van

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 18:34, Ryan Sommers wrote:

> ** The following packages were not installed or upgraded (*:skipped /
> !:failed)=20
>         ! databases/libgda2 (libgda2-0.8.192)   (compiler error)=20
> > I think this was complaining about a undeclared POPT* constant;
> installing devel/popt fixed it.=20

This should have been handled automatically.  However, if you had an
older popt installed, you would get an error unless you first upgrade to
popt-1.6.4.  I'll check just to make sure this dependency is there.

>=20
>         ! audio/freeamp (freeamp-esound-2.1.1_4)        (port directory
> error)=20
> > What happened to the freeamp port?=20

From CVS:

"Remove Freeamp, Freeamp is dead (see
http://anders.fix.no/freebsd/freeamp.txt for the announcement on the old
mailinglists).

Use Zinf - Zinf Is Not FreeA*p - instead: ports/audio/zinf.

"
>         ! www/galeon (galeon-1.2.5)     (unknown build error)=20
> > www/mozilla-headers wasn't installed and portupgrade didn't install
> it. Was complaining about an undefined method.=20
>         * databases/libgnomedb (libgnomedb-0.8.192)=20
>         * devel/glade2 (glade2-1.1.1)=20
>         * x11/gnome2 (gnome2-2.0_4)=20
>=20
> I installed all the ports it skipped.=20

Wait until tomorrow.  I'm committing a big-ass Mozilla thing tonight
that should take care of this.

>=20
> GNOME appears to be working fine now, however, my menus have since
> vanished. The only menus I have under the Applications menu is: Desktop
> Preferences, Internet, Other, and KDE Menu. The only applications shown
> are: Galeon, DB frontend and Evolution (and of course the KDE menus).
> How do I go about recreating or getting the old and/or default menus
> back.=20

Were you using GNOME 1.4, and upgraded to 2.0?  If so, a lot has
changed.  You may want to see the GNOME 2.0 FAQ at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html, and checkout the link to
the GNOME 2.0 start page at gnome.org as well.  Basically, you'll have
to add back apps that you want by hand.

>=20
> Next question, albeit a stupid one. My Galeon window has moved under the
> application panel at the top of the window; how do I move it back down
> if I can't grab the titlebar?=20

Can you grab the bottom of the window using the middle mouse button and
drag it?

>=20
> How long until the Evolution 1.2 beta ports will be committed?

Not until 1.2 is officially released.  It depends on some beta
components that will overwrite some core GNOME 1.4 files.  I want to
wait until those components are released as well.  In the meantime, you
can get Evo-1.1.x from my CVS tree at
http://www.marcuscom.com:8080/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi.  Checkout the ports
module as described on that page, then install gal, gnomespell, gtkhtml,
and evolution-devel in that order.  Some ports like GnuCash and Gnumeric
may need to be rebuilt as well. =20

Joe

--=20

--=-f4mik5A65ZhE9EMM9van