Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:13:38 +0100
From:      Tony Hacche <agh@nosc.ja.net>
To:        "Douglas G. Phillips" <csdgp@eiu.edu>
Subject:   Re: Handspring Visor and J-Pilot

Douglas,

I also tried to get my Visor working with J-Pilot and couldn't even manage
the first stage of getting pilot-link working. I found some documentation
(can't remember where) about using ucom devices instead of usb ones and
whilst I managed to get the system to recognise the Visor when I hit the
HotSync button, pilot-link refused to see the device. I'm relatively
inexperienced w.r.t. FreeBSD but a colleague with years of use of FreeBSD
couldn't get it to work either. In the end I decided to increase the vintage
of my OS to v4.8 ;o)

Tony

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 10:13:59AM -0500, Douglas G. Phillips wrote:
> I've been trying to get my Handspring Visor and J-Pilot to work on my
> FBSD 5.0-REL machine.  The syslog shows that the system is recognizing
> the connection and disconnection of the visor, but J-Pilot can't seem to
> talk to the PDA.  Any ideas?
>
> I've tried using /dev/usb[0,1,2] in the settings, but no luck.
>
> --- Relevant Portion of Syslog: ---
>
> May 27 03:45:31 satyridae kernel: ugen0: Handspring Inc Handspring
> Visor, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 3
> May 27 03:45:35 satyridae kernel: pid 52691 (jpilot), uid 1002: exited
> on signal 11 (core dumped)
> May 27 03:45:37 satyridae kernel: ugen0: at uhub2 port 1 (addr 3)
> disconnected
> May 27 03:45:37 satyridae kernel: ugen0: detached
> --
> Douglas G. Phillips
> ITS/Client Services
> Eastern Illinois University
> (217) 581-7631

**********************
* Tony Hacche        *
* ULCC               *
* 20 Guilford Street *
* London WC1N 1DZ    *
* JOD: 0870 850 6672 *
* DDI: 020 7692 1440 *
* FAX: 0870 850 6673 *
* MOB: 07866 623093  *

"There is nothing which has yet been contrived
by man, by which so much happiness is produced
as by a good tavern or inn."  (Samuel Johnson)