Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 2010 14:58:03 -0500
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Ed Flecko <edflecko@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should a "squid" user have a shell?

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Ed Flecko <edflecko@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Jerry.
>
> The only reason I'm not using the squid port is because I found a
> website (
> http://teklimbu.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/enterprise-freebsd-squid-proxy-server/
> ) that has detailed instructions on installing squid for an Enterprise
> environment claiming the performance is very good.
>
> Since I'm new to using squid and using squid on FreeBSD, I'm simply
> trying to duplicate his setup. It's quite possible that I could
> achieve the same performance results from using the port install of
> squid...but maybe I wouldn't.

If you are looking for a high performance reverse proxy cache, look at
varnish instead of squid.  That being said, squid will work fine too.

If you don't know what you need, it's probably better to always stick with
ports rather than compiling yourself.  A lot of bug fixes, FreeBSD specific
patches, and testing goes into the ports tree -- that's why it's such a
useful package management system.

--
Adam Vande More