Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 2008 20:30:56 +0100
From:      Rink Springer <rink@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav <des@des.no>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP usb2 (usb4bsd) to become default in 2 weeks.

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 08:08:08PM +0100, Ed Schouten wrote:
> * Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 December 2008, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
> > > There are serious issues with the permissions model, which were raised
> > > in Strasbourg and AFAIK never addressed.
> >
> > This is more complicated than you think. If you require a change in this area
> > than please point me to an existing example implementing something similar. I
> > know about the "kern_priv()" function, but there are no specific groups for
> > USB, which needs to be discussed. The current implementation is good enough
> > for most use cases in my opinion.
>
> Just create device nodes in devfs. Let devfs handle the permissions. If
> they are insufficient, then we should add ACL support to devfs.

Due to the design of USB2, this isn't quite as obvious as it may seem;
for example, an USB device has multiple endpoints, and if some process
opens endpoint 1 and 3, you don't want to block another process from
opening endpoint 2, for example. There are a lot of interesting
combinations possible, and this is only the tip of the iceberg :-)

Regards,

--
Rink P.W. Springer                                - http://rink.nu
"Chance favours the prepared mind"