Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 19:31:05 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Wouter Cuypers <voutah@detroit.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wrong DNS numbers from DHCP server

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 07:13:20PM +0200, Wouter Cuypers wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use FreeBSD for natd and ipfw on a 200Mhz pentium system with 2 NIC's.
> My cable providers assigns the machine's outside IP using DHCP but it
> also gives me the wrong DNS addresses.
> I know that they are 195.130.132.17 en 195.130.132.18. But when I look
> at my resolve.conf it looks like this:
>
> search pandora.be
> nameserver 195.130.132.20
> nameserver 195.130.132.18
>
> With these settings my sshd cannot reverse my internal IP's and doesn't
> allow me to connect using SSH. Telnetd still works.
> When I manually change resolve.conf and change the 20 to 17, then SSH
> works just fine.
>
> Is this a problem that I should solve with my ISP or can i get a
> work-around ?

Yes, and yes.  You probably should talk to your ISP and make sure that
DHCP supply the correct settings.
There is a workaround though.

> Changing the permissions of the file didn't seem to work.
> Is there a way to disable the DNS resolving in dhclient ?

You can get dhclient to override the settings that it gets from the
server.
Look at the dhclient.conf(5) man page, especially the 'supersedes'
option.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson