Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 2002 12:52:05 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        arc@tradewindse.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: afbackup   anybody know what these errors mean? (fwd)

Hello.

Yes, I saw and still see this obscure message since August 2002!
I did several postings here and got into contact with A. Fluegel,
one of the vendors of afbackup.

Afbackup worked 'stable' until we changed from FreeBSD 4.6.2 to 4.6.2-pl2
and this error occurs on our HP SureStore 40x6i DAT changer. The server
which is doing the update needs to backup about 250GB diskspace and
therefore we bought this poor-man's tape changer. Prior to this change
to FreeBSD 4.6.2-pl2 and FreeBSD 4.7-R and followers every version of afbackup
until version 3.3.7 worked like a charm. The several weird errors occured,
first time error was an error when really big files were written and read again
from backup, but Alber Fluegel told me that this has been worked around. The
more critical problem is that what you mentioned here: at the end of a tape
we get this error and afbackup dies. This only happens on our changer.
We run also two other HP backup devices, one DAT 40 single drive and an older
DAT 8 drive and in addtion a sony DAT 7000 drive. The older DAT drives (single)
have no problems in FreeBSD 4.7-R and afbackup 3.3.7pl3, but the important
changer device seems to make trouble in afbackup.

I tried to do several poor investigations on this to exclude the drive's fault.
Using pax or tar in multivolume mode shows no error when tape end has been reached,
but after the change of the cartridge magazine (6 tapes) pax get confused and
whenever a new tape is inserted, it reports a full volume. I never saw this before
in 4.6 but I can not assure this is a new 'bug' in 4.7.

The only thing I know is that with the 2nd August 2002 something has been changed
in scsi_sa.c and this caused a thread I read in GOOGLE concerning some changes in
EOT handling (look for posting of Matthew Jacob). Since August we have this massive
trouble although our error looks like a little bit different from yours (error number
is 87 or 85 and command is not '>', it is 'W', but the error message behind the cause
is the same).

Do you have a changer, too, or occurs this error on a single tape drive?

Well, as I understood the above mentioned thread about EOT handling, in afbackup we
got several changes targeting this but as I understood Mr. Jacob the right way, he
changed back EOT bahaviour.

I hope these problems get fixed soon. afbackup was the only non commercial backup
software for FreeBSD which is able to backup large disk arrays (AMANDA is a crap,
using tar and is not able to split large files/arrays over several consecutive
tapes).

If you get some more informations about this, I would appreciate any comments or
tips.

Our backup system is a FreeBSD 4.7-R-p1 SMP box, HP SureSTore 40x6i tape drive/changer
unit attached to an onboard LSI Logic 53C896 LVD SCSI host controler on a TYAN Thunder
2500 mainboard. The tape drive unit populate one of two channels as the only device,
so bad interaction with other devices should be excluded.