Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2013 00:13:59 -0800
From:      Derek Kulinski <takeda@takeda.tk>
To:        "Sergey V. Dyatko" <sergey.dyatko@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: svn - but smaller?

Hello Sergey,

>> I think you don't understand the reason why people are asking for
>> this. I personally experienced the need not long ago. I had stable/9
>> branch and wanted to downgrade to 9.0. The entire process went well
>> until I rebooted the system, to see tons of errors in pretty much
>> everything that was compiled from ports. Instead recompiling them
>> from scratch I just decided to go ahead and upgrade to 9.1 which was
>> not officially released yet.
> how in this case you would have helped availability lite-svn-client on
> base ?

The base worked fine, the ports were completely broken. And even if it
was somehow broken (perhaps buildworld did not correctly built it)
if it was part of the base it would not depend on any external ports.

>> And of course I could not perform svn sw because svn was broken too.
> r232944 | lev | 2009-04-29 15:11:17 +0300
> (3) Add STATIC option to build only static binaries [2]

While that would not apply to my case (switch within major version),
what about ABI incompatibilities?

>> And since svn has tons of dependencies it took me nearly an hour to
>> recompile them (portupgrade and Ruby were broken too).
> that's why I don't use portupgrade for a long time;-)
> use portmaster WTF

Other than that it works very well, but I will give portmaster a try.

--
Best regards,
 Derek                            mailto:takeda@takeda.tk

Cole's Law: Thinly sliced cabbage.