Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 2000 00:50:33 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Qmail and selective relaying

> I found an article on FreeBSD'zine http://www.freebsdzine.org/200005/qmail.
> which gives nice instructions on doing what I want. Also I found some info
> qmail's FAQ at http://www.skyinet.net/~onogos/docs/Qmail-HOWTO section 5.2.
> I have a question, though.
>
> I've installed daemontoools and ucspi-tcp and created tcprules file
> in /usr/local/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb. Now, according to the instructions all
> I need to do is ``add "-x /usr/local/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb" to qmail-smtpd
> startup script.''

You're supposed to run qmail through tcpserver, and remove it
altogether from /etc/inetd.conf.  (tcpserver is a Bernstein
replacement for inetd.)  This flag goes for tcpserver, not for
qmail-smtpd.  I start it up from /etc/rc.local as follows

/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -u 82 -g 81 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd &

The best documentation for qmail is what comes with qmail itself, it's
all quite clearly explained there.

Rahul.