Date:      Thu, 30 Jun 2011 17:31:08 -0700
From:      Kurt Buff <kurt.buff@gmail.com>
To:        "Dr. A. Haakh" <bugReporter@haakh.de>
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fubar'ed it good this time...

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 06:50, Dr. A. Haakh <bugReporter@haakh.de> wrote:
> Polytropon schrieb:
>>
>> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 06:40:27 -0700, Kurt Buff wrote:
>>

>>> Your advice sounds reasonable, but that site seems devoted to zfs
>>> bootables.
>>>
>>> I wonder if an 8.1 livefs iso will do the trick...
>>>

>> Check if you can download FreeSBIE somewhere. It's a live system
>> using the 5.x and 6.x kernel which should be fine. Next to two
>> GUI modes (light, heavy) it also has a versatile "maintenance mode"
>> for such operations. I have already successfully used this system
>> for solving similar situations, for diagnostics, and for data
>> recovery preparation.
>
> The loader obviously knows how to deal with the filesystem because he loads
> the failing new kernel. So the easiest solution would be to boot an older
> kernel if available. I don't know how freebsd-update deals with older
> kernels,
> he should still be around. First guess is /boot/kernel.old/kernel.
> So get the loader-prompt, "unload kernel" and try "load
> /boot/kernel.old/kernel".
>
> Andreas

OK - to continue, while I have a few free minutes.

I have been able to load the old kernel by going to the loader prompt
from the boot menu, and doing
     unload kernel
     load /boot/kernel.old/kernel

That barked about linproc in fstab, so I edited that out.

Then, the next go-round: It complained about mismatches on
daemon_saver.ko - a version mismatch, so I've commented that out of
/etc/rc.conf. It also complained about linux.ko, so that's been
commented out in /etc/rc.conf as well.

I'm now able to reboot cleanly with the old kernel.

After doing 'freebsd-update install' for the second time, I still
can't get 8.2 to boot - same issue, only acd0 is recognized. However,
I'm logged in as root under the old kernel, though I haven't start
XFCE4, and don't have wireless running.

This one is getting to be fun...

Kurt