Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 03:30:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com>
To:        "P. van Leeuwen" <pvl@nanoteq.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD Questions'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Keyboard dies

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, P. van Leeuwen wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have this old 486-dx2 66Mhz PC at home and it is running 2.2.1-Release. My problem is
> that the keyboard just dies at random times. Sometimes it happens after bootup at the xdm prompt
> and other times it would happen in X or even in a vc. It would mostly happen when I switch between
> vc's.  I can always telnet into the machine, and the mouse keeps on working, but the keyboard is
> just dead. Last night it got even worse --  I can type in stuff at the boot prompt, but that's the last
> time the keyboard works.
>
> Any ideas? It is not nice having to reset the PC everytime as it is standalone at the moment.
> I wanted to try the pcvt driver, but now I can't get into the machine :(
>
> thanks
> pierre

If the keyboard/keyboard cable/keyboard connector isn't broken it most
likely is a conflict with another card in your system.  For example, the
scsi controller that comes with the Zip drive uses a default i/o address
that causes some motherboards to lockup their keyboards.  Solution is to
jumper to an alternative address.

> P. van Leeuwen
> Electronic Engineer
> pvl@nanoteq.com
> http://www.nanoteq.co.za

Shoppers Network (Support)      AMD K5/K6s, Cyrix 6x86, Intel Pentiums/Pro
Phone: (415) 759-8584           Email: howard@shoppersnet.com
==============================> WWW - http://www.shoppersnet.com