Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 02:35:24 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        Greg Fraize <greg@oz.plymouth.edu>, questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ppp.secret

> On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Greg Fraize wrote:
>
> > ppp -ddial home
>
> Which will put ppp in the background.
>
> > II keep getting error abour some file called ppp.secret...
> > what is that file used for ..and what should I put in
> > it...thanks
>
> When ppp is run, it by default listens to port 3000+tunnel device id
> (usually 0).  By telneting into that port, you can control ppp, run
> commands, etc, etc, and since it is run as root, this could pose a big
> security problem.  To combat this, you need to edit ppp.secret, and add a
> line in there with the name of your computer (not the fqdn), a tab, and a
> password.  Without this, you'll get an error, and it won't listen to port
> 3000.  With the entry, whomever tries to telnet to port 3000 to access
> your/control your ppp program, they'll need to enter a password before
> gaining access to any significant commands.

[cross-posted to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc]

And now that everyone knows the rules.... they've been updated :-I
The reasoning is that too many people had problems with the security
model.  Although it was a reasonable default, there was no way to
allow easy access (if that's what a sysadm really wants).

Here are the new essentials (completed as of today).  There pretty
much the same as the proposal I posted to -hackers on Nov 3:

1.  The command "set users user-list" is introduced where user-list
    is a list of user names.  The default is empty.  If users are
    included in this list (or if your uid is 0), they may run ppp
    The check is done *before* the ppp section is loaded (and may
    be part of the default label).  User "*" means anyone.
2.  The command "set modes mode-list" is introduced where mode-list
    is a list of allowable modes from "auto", "background", "ddial",
    "direct", "interactive", "dedicated" and "*".  This command
    augments ``1.'' as the super-user may set up profiles that may
    not be altered.  The default is "all modes".
3.  Permissions stay the same.  You've gotta be group network to have
    a chance of running ppp at all.  This means that the default is
    root only 'cos of file system permissions.
4.  No socket is created by default.

    1.  You *must* set a password in /etc/ppp/ppp.secrets or on the
        "set server" command line:
          set server|socket TcpPort|LocalName|none [passwd] [mask]
    2.  If you specify an empty password, you don't need to use the
        ``passwd'' command.
    3.  You can -USR1 ppp to re-open the socket on
        AF_INET:3000+tunno, but only if you've specified a password
        (which may be empty) in ppp.secret.  You can -USR2 ppp to
        stop ppp from listening to diagnostic connections.

5.  Pppctl can already handle the ppp prompt when it doesn't want a
    password (ppp doesn't prompt or require the -p option).
6.  Pppctl has an ``interactive'' mode, taking away ``telnet''s
    attraction.  Interactive mode uses libedit, allowing command line
    editing.  Be careful though, due to a bug in -stable before
    today, libedit dumps core when reading ~/.editrc.
7.  $HOME/.ppp.* are removed.  The "!include" command is added
    instead, which understands ``~'' and environment variables.
8.  ID0 logging is available so that you can see what's being done as
    user id 0.
9.  There's a pile of new examples in ppp.conf.sample.

As ever, all this is available on http://www.freebsd.org/~brian.
Things seem to work ok, and there's even a working -dedicated mode
now.  I have no plans to change any of this again if it's any
consolation to people - I know it's a pain in the arse when this sort
of thing changes.....

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;