Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 19:10:26 -0400
From:      "Jason" <kib@poboxes.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, <bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
Cc:        <jbrann@brann.org>, <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, <kline@tera.tera.com>, <freebsd@atipa.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why we should support Microsoft...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan M. Bresler <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To: bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk <bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
Cc: jbrann@brann.org <jbrann@brann.org>; jmb@FreeBSD.ORG <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>;
jkh@time.cdrom.com <jkh@time.cdrom.com>; hasty@rah.star-gate.com
<hasty@rah.star-gate.com>; kline@tera.tera.com <kline@tera.tera.com>;
freebsd@atipa.com <freebsd@atipa.com>; freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
<freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Thursday, May 21, 1998 9:24 AM

>Ben Cohen wrote:
> microsoft uses their operating system to dominate the apps
> market.  i would like to see that practice stopped.
> microsoft redefines what is part of the operating system
> as desired to gut the profitability of other companies
> products.  while one can argue that stacker really should
> be part of the operating system, i dont believe one can
> argue that a web browser could be.  web browsers are clearly
> apps which may be expanded to provide the GUI for the box.

What is the difference between a stacker and a browser in terms of
competition?   MS makes both....and both are part of the win9x
systems....and both have competitors.   There is NOTHING in win98 that
prevents ANYONE from loading Netscape or any other browers on these systems.
I am a beta tester for win98 and that was one of the things we had to try
out.  They wanted us to try EVER peice of software known to man....or at
least what each of us had at the time.

> microsoft needs to be split to prevent these two anti-competitive
> practices.
>jmb

I still don't see the real point here.....the only anti competitive practice
I see that might be a problem is MS bullying vendors with license agreements
not to to things that the consumer wants.   No MS or any other developers
license should require a vender to load or install only their products.
That much is in the best interest of the public but not the rest OS this DOJ
mess.

Jason