Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 10:09:18 -0700
From:      "Arun Sharma" <arun@sharmas.dhs.org>
To:        <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Reiser: BSD cliques

http://steven.haryan.to/interview-hans-reiser.html

So this is the nth time, I've heard the same allegation.
Is anything being done to address it ?

In particular, the openness of the development process.
I sent serveral patches to the kernel to -hackers during
the last year or two. All of them were send-pr'ed too.

But not one of them made it into the kernel. Neither were
they rejected based on some technical reasoning. I found
that this was not true in some of the less "core" areas.
Several of my contributions to -ports were accepted and
PRs actively worked on.

I personally think that it is more due to indifference
than xenophobia.

I've said this before too on -hackers, witout a response.
I know people work on a voluntary basis, work on what's
interesting to them, rather than sifting through loads of
PRs.

Some thoughts:

- Instead of having a "kern" category in gnats, break it down
  to smaller subsystems and have people "own" subsystems (I know
  this exists, informally).

- If this isn't addressed well, sooner or later, some motivated
  hot head somewhere, who doesn't like GPL is going to fork FreeBSD
  and I'd hate to see that happen.

- send-pr web interface is not very usable right now. I can't attach
  a patch easily for eg. I've offered to fix it in the past, again
  no response.

I really hope people will look at this as something more than a
flamebait and look into it seriously. I can't help mentioning
Linux in this context, but it's just too relevant to ignore.

	-Arun