Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 09:16:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Pechter <pechter@pechter.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NT Microkernel

> Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 00:06:31 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
> Subject: Re: Microsoft Source (fwd)
>
> > www.mslinux.org is obviously a spoof, but very clever and amusing. The GPL
> > would not allow Microsoft to pirate Linux code and sell it Microsoft style.
> >
> > At least I don't think so, but I once read that WINNT uses the Mach
> > microkernel, which has a license very similar to the GPL. Can anybody
> > comment?
>
> Microsoft claimed that NT had a "microkernel architecture"; it
> really doesn't, but that was the set of buzzwords that were
> popular and "modern" aqt the time.  I guess you could claim
> that having a huge number of VXDs could, in a wild stretch, be
> referred to as a "microkernel architecture".  NT is definitely
> not based on MACH; its closest relative is VMS (same architect).
>

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org

Actually, it's pretty close to a project Cutler worked on at DEC...
Involving a VAX/VMS follow-up  OS called Prism -- on RISC cpu's...
(One of which -- DEC's PRISM CPU -- was later morphed into the ALPHA/AXP
(axp standing for Almost eXactly PRISM).

Which is why there was a pretty large DEC<-->MS deal where DEC got a ton
of their field folks MS trained and Certified on MS products for 0$$$
and MS got a bit more of the DEC cluster code and a look at the v7.x VMS
stuff.

This was back when GQ Bob Palmer (who was better with Emerson and Lake
8-( btw ) was running DEC into the ground.  Had DEC gone to court and
done the big fight with MS and Intel, they might not be COMPAQ today.

DEC killed the project (1988) and after a while Cutler and a lot of the DEC
Western Research Lab in Washington moved down the road to Redmond to do
NT.  (Some of this info is in the book Showstopper)...

http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/news/fromms/kanoarchitect.asp

Bill