Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2000 12:19:34 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/15822: Update port misc/HomeDaemon to V0.99

On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Karl Denninger wrote:

# Correct.  My first submission got a reject and nasty comment back from
# one of your other committers that I violated the hier(7) rules - when I
# explained why I had done so, I got stony silence in reply.

I can't speak for anyone but myself.  I was being courteous and you
took to shouting at me.  So am to assume that all [CK]arls of the
world will be this way?  I didn't take the other person's comments
as you did.  They were constructive comments and you chose to take
them the wrong way IMHO.

[snip]

# So today I submitted a port with those PLIST entries DELETED (intentionally)
# which ALSO violates the rules in the handbook, but I'll be damned if blind
# complience with "the rules" supersedes the principle of least astonishment
# (and the 4-letter words that will eminate from someone who does not have a
# backup after they spend all weekend programming an event list only to lose
# it due to this!)

If the port installs files then those files will show up in the PLIST
otherwise the package that is created will be worthless as they won't
be there.  My suggestion if you don't want to lose these config files
is to install the ones you have as '.sample's with instructions that for
this software to do anything useful you must copy and tweak to suit.
There are quite a number of ports that do this and it works quite well
for them.

# The original was never committed because someone else (not you) has
# refused to do so.  You closed the others which is fine, but none of the
# originals was ever committed, and in fact, since the first REJECT message
# I had no idea if you folks were *ever* going to commit the original - and
# had assumed the answer was *no*.

The PR was still in GNATS and still open, so the answer was not no and
it definitely wasn't rejected; on hold maybe.

# I'll be happy to wait, but when someone tells me to go stuff, basically,
# and then does not reply to my follow-up in a timely fashion (a couple
# of days) I have only two options:
#
# 	1. Assume that someone was having a bad day, closed the original,
# 	   and I should resubmit.

You can check the status of your problem report here without having
to make assumptions.

# 	2. Give up.
#
# I assume you'd prefer that I *not* take path #2.
#
# I thought send-pr was the way to "talk to" gnats officially... If not, ok,
# but then the original has to be comitted first before I can do this (as you
# noted below).

send-pr(1) is the way of committing new PRs.  If you want to followup
to an existing PR you can either do what I suggested in the previous
mail or you can use the "Submit Followup" link at the bottom of the
page presented by the URL above.  Either of them does exactly the same
thing.  You choose what is easiest for you.

# Any idea on a timeline when the "now original" commit can/will be done?

Nope.  With a volunteer project and the fact that there are currently
2116 other open PRs (269 of which are for ports), it will happen when
someone takes the time to do it.

Since the holidays are here for most of us it has a good chance of
happening soon, but no promises.  I can tell you that in the last
week we've been able to resolve a sizeable number of PRs as evidenced
here.

	http://www.freebsd.org/~steve/gnatstats.html

-steve