Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2008 08:12:13 +0100
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, juri_mian@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: bsd.gnome.mk is broken in 6.3-RELEASE ? Cannot update x11 ports ?

On Tuesday 11 November 2008 06:36:13 Juri Mianovich wrote:

> What _is_ fascinating is that I am the only person _ever_ to attempt
> cvsup'ing the x11 portions of the ports tree and then install xorg.  You'd
> think someone would have done this before now.

Not that fascinating. Only takes a minute to realize that x11 apps depend on
apps outside the x11 scope and one should *always* update Mk/. The only
categories that I've had removed from a csup port distribution are the
internationalization categories. However, after some review of what kind of
extra traffic these generate, I decided that it wasn't worth the editing time
of the csup file.
Proceeding with partial ports trees or worse, partially csup'd port trees,
gives nasty errors that take longer to debug then they save you download
time.
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.