Date:      Thu, 04 Sep 2014 01:54:38 +0200
From:      "Michael Ross" <gmx@ross.cx>
To:        "Brandon Allbery" <allbery.b@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: pkg question - Difference pkg vs port

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 01:32:48 +0200, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 7:24 PM, Michael Ross <gmx@ross.cx> wrote:
>
>> "Anything that provides" I think is the key to where I started thinking
>> wrong:
>>
>> The dependency is not "Shared libs required" libmysqlclient.so.18,
>> but one specific port that provides libmysqlclient.so.18 -
>> mysql55-client.
>>

> Ports can do "provides library" dependencies. Packages can only depend on
> packages. You can try to force it but you could also confuse your package
> database rather badly.

Assume I don't mind, assume a test system that can and will be wiped
anyway.
( And assume a port which takes longer then 5 seconds to compile ... )
*How* can I force this?

I've pkg-locked mysql56-client.

Now ``pkg install py27-MySQLdb'' exits with
	mysql56-client-5.6.20 is locked and may not be modified

if I add
      -M, --ignore-missing
                 Force the installation of the package with missing
dependen-
                 cies.
to the pkg command, the result is the same
	mysql56-client-5.6.20 is locked and may not be modified

So it seems to me I can't force the package to install,
because the dependency "mysql55-client" is not "missing"
but "uninstallable".

Michael