Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 19:49:54 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Phiber 0ptik <maxsecure@hotmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CDROM

Phiber 0ptik wrote:

> ok, I am running a pentium 166 with 16 megs of RAM and a 1.6 gig HD.
> The CD-ROM is the secondary IDE controller, and its an X12ATAPI CD-ROM
> I am trying to install FreeBSD 3.2, and I run into the problem where during
> the installation it says 'No CD-ROM device found'

When your system boots, it should list the IDE devices. If they go by
too quickly, you can press the pause button (?) and it will stop and
let you look at the choices. At that point, it should list your cdrom
as either a secondary master or a secondary slave. The secondary slave
is bad because it means you will have to move a jumper on the back end
of the cdrom. There are usually 3 or 4 pairs of pins and one will have
something like ma (master), sl (slave), and a 3rd for cs (or cable
select). It has been around 17-18 years since I used anything in the
csel connection. You need the Berg jumper in master position.

During the installation you come to a menu option where you can choose
the installation media, you want to choose CDROM. It has been a while
since I had to think when I was doing this but sometimes you are
offered brandnames that are proprietary to products like SoundBlaster
cards and you don't have one of these CDROM's.

Just to be complete, do you know what kind of CDROM it is?

I'm sending this back to questions because someone may have more
comments. The people answering questions are all volunteers and you
don't know what part of the world any help will come from.

Good luck,

Kent

> >From: Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
> >To: Phiber 0ptik <maxsecure@hotmail.com>
> >CC: FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
> >Subject: Re: ATAPI CDROM
> >Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 14:55:52 -0700
> >

> >Phiber 0ptik wrote:
> > >
> > > hello
> > >
> > > I was recently trying to install FreeBSD and ran into problems during
> >the
> > > installation.  I booted from the CD ROM and then it spit this out at me:
> > >
> > > No CD_ROM device found
> > >
> > > I opened up the book and it had related problems, and the only one that
> > > applied to me was the ATAPI CD-ROm problem.
> > >
> > > The only thing it said to do was e-mail you, so here I am.
> >
> >Ya! But you need to tell us something. For starters, a frequent
> >problem with the CDROM is one that is misconfigured, i.e., jumpered as
> >a slave on a single device setup. This violates the standard but many
> >systems are forgiving but FreeBSD isn't.
> >
> >What are you trying to install and what kind of hardware do you have.
> >Then, someone from around the world might have a chance of providing
> >you with some insight into your problem.
> >
> >Kent
> >

> > > Thanks a bunch

> >--
> >Kent Stewart
> >Richland, WA
> >
> >mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com
> >http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/index.html
> >FreeBSD News http://daily.daemonnews.org/
> >
> >SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
> >http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html