Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 09:40:49 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        uwp@ukrv.de (Udo Wolter)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WinTV/PCI from Hauppauge

> I've also seen that there are more than one card. They sell 3 cards at the
> moment: "standard" (only TV/Video), "extended" (TV/Video/Teletext),
> "professional" (TV/Video/Videotext/Radio). Will all of them work ? Can

I suppose yes, since the current driver only supports the tuner and the
frame grabber. The teletext version (I think I have this one, although
it was not specified) has an additional chip (SAA5246 if memory serves)
to do teletext decoding. Maybe the "radio" version also has a modified
tuner to get FM radio.

> I get the Teletext (or any kind of Videotext ?). Is it also possible to
> get the radio part with FreeBSD ?

on my FreeBSD web page http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/FreeBSD.html
you can find some code that use data coming from the Bt848 (i.e. the
"standard" card) and software decode them to extract teletext
information. You need the modified bt848 driver also on my page, and
possibly a lot of memory and CPU, but in principle this lets you get
teletext info as soon as they come in.

If you want to write support for the 5246 (which is not hard, I just
did not have the time to) you need almost no CPU and memory, but the
system is much slower since you have to ask for pages (max 8 at
the same time I think), wait until it comes, and then download it
from the 5246.

	Cheers
	Luigi