Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 1995 09:19:02 -0600
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        ajit@louie.udel.edu
Cc:        atn-group@mitre.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, slr@mitre.org, wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: multicast pruning

>  In message <199503030019.AA29879@plains.NoDak.edu>you wrote:
>  >can you automatically pick up new groups from the tunnel? I don't
>  >know if there is still a bug or if my regional net is having a
>  >problem.
>
>  If I understand your question properly, you want to detect the appearance
>  of groups at the end of a tunnel. The mrouted at the other end of the
>  tunnel should detect the presence of groups, i.e. a router can only
>  detect groups on any attached interface.

 NWNet mbone mrouter <====> FreeBSD mrouted <---> machine running sd

         == tunnel     -- LAN
 the local sd is not detecting new groups from the "outside world"
 I had traces in the function X_ip_mforward() in the kernel file
 /sys/netinet/ip_mroute.c, and I don't recieve tunnel packets, because
 I do not belong to a remote multicast groups, but I can't join until
 I get a list of groups...MWnet insists we have a "32" ttl and it is
 possible that there is nothing to see and that is why I asked the question.
 (yes, I believe in the power of run-on sentences)

 I would appreciate if someone could check if they can detect remote groups
 or see if you can see a multicast group called "ndsu wb", or if someone is
 willing to set up a mini-mbone to test the tunnelling, I would apprecaite
 it.

>  I don't see why the path of the dump files should be changed to
>  /var/tmp and /var/run. A number of systems do not have a directory
>  called /var/run.

 FreeBSD 2.x (more accurate 4.4 based OSes) don't have /usr/tmp, and also
 /var/run is the location for process ID of running programs. I was proposing
 a change in /usr/src/usr.sbin/mrouted/main.c for 4.4 based OSes, I should
 have included a #ifdef for 4.4 systems.

thanks again for all the help/interest.

--mark.