Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 19:00:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NFS through a firewall

Hello,

I've been playing around with ipfw, and I must say it is really a nice
package.  Easy to use, and a good handbook entry on its use.

The problem I'm having is trying to figure out what ports nfs will use...
I've been using udp, v2, and it seems to grab ports in the 1010-1030
range.  If I use the "nfs priv-port" sysctl, it strays around in the 980
range with the port incrementing with each access.  Is there an absolute
range that it will stay in in either mode?

If I use tcp will it stick to one port on each side?

TIA,

Charles Sprickman
spork@super-g.com
----
                           "I'm not a prophet or a stone-age man
                           Just a mortal with potential of a superman
                           I'm living on"      -DB