Date:      Sat, 4 Jun 2011 19:09:11 -0400
From:      Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com>
To:        "questions@FreeBSD.org Questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Partitioning with gpart or old style slices?

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Erik N=F8rgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org> wro=
te:
> I just realized how many years ago I haven't been partitioning any disks =
..
> this system is so stable :) So, now I see I have gpart as alternative to
> fdisk/bsdlabel.

gpart(8) from my experience is far superior to all the older tools.

> I have a 320GB disk which will be dedicated to FBSD, is there any advanta=
ge
> - or any problems (problems as in I've never tried that before) - using
> gpart instead of the "old" scheme?

It is clean and clear as to what you are doing, and it supports GPT
scheme partitions.

> Do I need kernel modules not in the generic kernel or create extra boot
> partition?

If you use it to make GPT partitions, you will need a freebsd-boot
partition with the proper bootcode for what you want to do.  If you
search this mailing list's archive, I've posted basic instructions for
gpart/GPT partitioning recently, perhaps there needs to be a section
added to Handbook 18.3.2 describing the basics.  Unfortunately, the
only mention in the handbook is a link to the man page in section
18.3.