Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 09:00:24 +1000 (EST)
From:      Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>
To:        alexus <ml@db.nexgen.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: another ip as alias on NIC doesn't work properly

Hi,

I am assuming you still have your original problems.

1) Why do you not see traffic from the alias? I am guessing that your irc
server is bound to all addresses. When a UNIX system receives a packet for
any address on the system it will accept it on the interface the packet
came in on. All return packets will go out with that IP address. For
example suupose you had

xl0 = 192.168.1.1
xl1 = 10.0.0.1

If machine 10.0.0.2 sent a packet to 192.168.1.1, the machine would accept
it on interface xl1 and all packets would come out with source of 10.0.0.1
despite being directed to 192.168.1.1. On some systems you can actually
prevent this behaviour. ie if 10.0.0.2 sent to 192.168.1.1 you'd get back
a "no route to host" or something similar.

2) The routes you queried are all host routes. If you "man
netstat" you would have seen that the "UHLW" means

     H       RTF_HOST         Host entry (net otherwise)
     L       RTF_LLINFO       Valid protocol to link address translation
     U       RTF_UP           Route usable
     W       RTF_WASCLONED    Route was generated as a result of cloning

Freebsd installs a host route for all local hosts.

At least I think that's what happens. :-)

Colin
--
Colin Campbell
Unix Support/Postmaster/Hostmaster