Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:34:25 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sea driver - anyone porting from 2.2.8 to 3.?/current ?

Reference:
> From:		Tom <tom@sdf.com>
> Date:		Thu, 10 Jun 1999 06:40:54 +0200
> Message-id:	<Pine.BSF.4.05.9906092135490.19997-100000@misery.sdf.com>

>   Drastic?  We are talking about 8 bit controller cards that haven't been
> made in years!

I hadn't looked to realise it was 8 bit transfer (I had realised it was slow,
but it was sufficient that it worked). The spare Future Domain TMC 885 on my
desk has no C1-C18 connectors, & just D3-7 (IRQ10-14), D16(+5V), D18(0V).

> I'm surprised this stuff still works, or that you haven't upgraded.

It's a useful old box: all new cards get plugged in here first, if they don't
fry the computer, the cards move on to my new computers.
A friend with a record of frying parallel ports, tested his ICE hardware
control program on this box (after cross compiling from a faster box).

> These days, I can get newer controller cards for free out of the garbage.

You're lucky, better for free Eh ?
Still seems a shame to dump support for old hardware:
- Green/Conservationist principle is against scrapping a functional box.
- Though the rich Western world buys & dumps regularly, some places people
  can't afford the latest & greatest, ... but if our OS still could still
  run (walk ;-) , they could still use old hardware, & even contribute
  ports docu etc, even if we'll not hear of them in new hardware forums.
(I see occasional appeals for free hardware in 3rd world ... makes one realise).

Julian
Julian H. Stacey				http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/