Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:48:14 -0400
From:      dave@hawk-systems.com (Dave)
To:        "Jeremy Buckner" <jeremy@cableaz.com>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: need help with mail server

Person opinion here...

did you drop to single user mode first?

Not usre if it is required, but I recommend always dropping to single user mode
when relocating /var/* files.  I find that all the log files and system
processes that are writing in there regularly (especially on busy systems) can
create havoc during the relocation... and in your case could have resulted in
orphaned lock files.

so in single user mode (and you indicated you have done these steps)

	cd /var
	mkdir /usr/var
	mv /var/mail /usr/var/
	ln -s /usr/var/mail .

then restart

never had a problem with things, and must have done this 3 or 4 dozen times.