Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:00:34 -0400
From:      Alden Louis-Pierre <alden.pierre@verizon.net>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS question in regards to /etc/resolv.conf

Bill Moran wrote:

> Alden Louis-Pierre wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>    I'm in the process of registering with either www.godaddy.com or
>> www.dyndns.org for a domain.
>

> I've had good results from godaddy, can't say either way about dyndns.
>
>> Now when it's time to set up my
>> /etc/resolv.conf, am I suppose to continue using the nameserver
>> that's provided by my ISP or the people I registered my domain
>> with will give me there IP address for there nameservers?  I'm trying
>> to learn how to build a web and email server. As always if someone
>> knows a better register besides the 2 i listed please free to inform me.
>

> This is not an easy question to answer.
>
> Will you need to host your own DNS _server_?  If so, then the answer is
> much more complicated.
>
> If not, you shouldn't change anything.  Your DNS information will
> propogate
> through your ISP's DNS servers just like it does the rest of the
> Internet.
>
> Actually, even if you _do_ set up your own DNS server, you can still use
> your ISP's DNS servers.  If you set up your DNS correctly, it will
> propogate through your ISP's servers as well.  It's just that if you
> set up your own DNS server, you'll have the option to use it instead of
> your ISP's.

Thank You, I'll continue using my ISP's nameservers.  I'm reading
Absolute BSD: The Ultimate Guide to FreeBSD by Michael Lucas, TCP/IP
Illustrated Volume 1-3 by  W. Richard Stevens, and the FreeBSD HandBook
to help me along the way.  I just hope my head does not explode by the
time i'm finish reading :-).

Thank You
Alden Louis-Pierre