Date:      Sat, 30 Dec 2017 19:09:26 +0200
From:      Stanislav Galabov <sgalabov@gmail.com>
To:        Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, "freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org" <embedded@freebsd.org>,  Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-mips@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mips@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Minor MIPS tree pruning

On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 6:30 PM, Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 01:10:11 -0700
> Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to propose that we eliminate support for the following before the
>> FreeBSD 12 branch.
>>
>> adm5120 (most boards don't have enough memory, very old)
>> alchemy (the au1xxxx port never really was finished, and boards lack
>> memory, very old)
>> idt (only a few boards worked, most are long obsolete)
>> rt305x (raylink kit is now out dated, at least I think so)
>
>  Olimex still sell rt5350 board (those two are quite the same SoC) :
>  https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/RT5350F/RT5350F-OLinuXino/open-source-hardware
>
>  I did port FreeBSD on it almost three years ago
> (https://www.bidouilliste.com/blog/2015/07/22/FreeBSD-on-Olimex-RT5350F-OLinuXino/
> ) but I don't remember if any of my code when into the tree but we have
> support from it based on the work from sgalabov@

Yes, the Ralink chips, as well as the newer Mediatek
(post-acquisition) ones, are supported by the code in
sys/mips/mediatek.
The original idea was to have both sys/mips/mediatek and
sys/mips/rt305x for historical reasons and later on remove the rt305x
one if there are no objections.
Seeing as the mediatek support actually supports a lot more SoCs and
also supports FDT, I think this is still the way to go.