Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:06:25 -0500
From:      Samuel Kesterson <freebsd-stable@k-labs.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Large IDE Hard drives

On 2002.06.13 10:39 Eric Gatenby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just added an 80G Western Digital HD into my freebsd-stable box,
> which was recompiled on Tuesday. After I fdisk and disklabel it, I
> repeatedly get these errors on the console when the disk is under any
> load:
>
> ad6: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
>
> After some time, the system locks up and a hard reset is required.
>
> The disk itself appears fine -- I've run it through the WD test tools
> and it
> has passed. I've installed it into a WinXP system with the exact same
> motherboard and HDD controller and ran tests, and it worked.
>
> The disk is a Western Digital 80G JB drive, with an 8M cache and a
> UDMA/133
> interface. It is installed on a Highpoint HPT-366 UDMA/66 controller
> integrated on my Abit BP6 motherboard. It is installed as the only
> device
> (as master) on the second IDE port of the controller.
>
> What could be causing these errors and lockups? The problem existed
> befre I
> recompiled on Tuesday. My previous build of 4.6-RC was done around May
> 3rd.
>
> Below is some hopefully useful info. If anything more is needed, or if
> should try anything, please let me know.

	--- Snip ---

	Having owned a BP6 in the past, I thought I should pass this
along. The BP6's are *extremely* lockup prone if they don't have very
constant stable power (especially under load). Some revisions of the
board had known hardware defects. You can read all about that as well
as how to modify the board to work better here:
http://bp6.gamesquad.net/Q6fix.phtml

	Your board may be perfectly fine hardware wise though. From my
own personal experience -- try changing the power supply in that
computer. My BP6 was incredibly unstable (lockup under heavy I/O) until
I switched power supplies. YMMV though ...

	HTH

--
Samuel Kesterson
freebsd-stable@k-labs.com