Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 09:33:33 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        graichen@axp5.physik.fu-berlin.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swapon problems

>i'm currently in the process of setting up a machine for running -current here
>and run into a problem with swapon

Please report problems in -current to the current mailing list.  -hackers
is too noisy.

>and added other disks and swap partitions too - after that i did a "swapon -a"
>and got my swap partition again one time as wd0s1b and the second time as wd0b
>- with my swapspace doubled (but i was'nt happy because after starting to
>think about what would happend if the system will write to that second
>swappartition - which is identical with the first ... - half an our later the
>system died by a memory fault :-( )

>the result is: swapon should check if the requested partition is not
>physically there (at the moment it seems to look only after the name) and say

It is physically there.  wd0s1b is physically identical with wd0b.

>"no" if i want to add the same partition under another name - can someone who
>cares for swapon please add such a check there (i will have time for actively
>working on FreeBSD myself earliest in september)

swapon() checks but is confused by the alias.  This problem is not only in
-current :-(.

Fix: don't do this.  Aliases can be created in other ways, e.g., by duplicating
wd0b to wd0h in the label.

>p.s.: is there a way to restart a make world so that it will go on there it
>stopped ( ... or crashed :-) without doing all from the beginning again ?

1. Usually don't use `make world'.
2. If you are using `make world' and it got through the bootstrap stages,
   then don't use it the next time.  Just use `make' and `su; make install'.

Bruce