Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 2021 12:42:35 -0500
From:      Ray Cote <rgacote@appropriatesolutions.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pkg with dependency on Python 3.8 tries to install Python 3.7.3

Hello:

I'm building and installing on FreeBSD 12.2.
My package has the following two dependencies:

deps = {
  bash = {
    version = "5.0.18,2";
    origin = "shells/bash";
    },
  python = {
    version = "3.8_6,0";
    origin = "lang/python";
    },
  },

After building the package, those are the dependencies I see:

# pkg info -d -F pkg/app-2.0.0.txz
app-2.0.0:

bash-5.0.18,2

python-3.8_6,0

When I install it, it tries to install Python TBD

# pkg install -U pkg/app-2.0.0.txz
The following 3 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:

python: 3.7_3,2

python3: 3_3

app: 2.0.0

Number of packages to be installed: 3

2 KiB to be downloaded.

I already have Python 3.8.6 and 3.7.9 installed:

# pkg info python*
python37-3.7.9
python38-3.8.6

Any hints as to why I'm being prompted for an older (and older than
installed) Python 3.7?

I've searched the Manifest and the only place Python appears is in the
dependencies listed above.

This is my first attempt at packaging one of our custom applications, so
perhaps I've missed something obvious.

Thanks
--Ray