Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 01:00:56 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Bhishan Hemrajani <bhishan@cytosine.dhs.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommended file partitions for 3.2GB & 1.5GB

On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 09:08:04PM -0800, Bhishan Hemrajani wrote:
> I currently have a 1.5GB and a 500MB hd in my computer
> running fine on 3.4-STABLE.
>
> I am soon getting a 3.2GB hd and I'm going to dump the
> 500mb hd.
>
> I basically want the exact same setup except to make
> the 3.2GB hd the "main" hard drive.
>
> I think I have 2 options, copy it over, or re-install.
>
> Which is better?

IMHO, install new drive. Partiton new drive into its final state. Copy
old system onto new drive. Nuke setup on old drive. Reinstall hardware
into final configuration if it is not already. Redistribute files onto
both drives from the new one which presently has everything. Done.

> If I decide to re-install what are some optimum settings
> for a fast server with lots of space.
>
> I think I'll go with:
>
> 3.2GB-> / = 100MB
> 	/usr/home = 3.1GB
> 1.5GB-> /usr = 1.0GB
> 	/var = 244MB
> 	swap = 256MB
>
> Are those good settings? My goal is for a fast server
> with lots of space on /usr/home.

How about,

3.2 GB:
  /         - 100 MB
  swap      - 128 MB
  /usr/home - ~3.0 MB
1.5 GB:
  swap      - 128 MB
  /usr      - ~1.4 MB

Where,

  % ln -s usr/var /var
  % mkdir /usr/var

Of course, if you want to get more fancy, concatinate /usr and
/usr/home with vinum and just have /, /usr, and a swap on each disk.