Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 08:45:48 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is it just me, or are people forgetting how to write mail?

Greg Lehey wrote:
> It seems to me that in the last couple of months the number of
> hard-to-read mail messages has significantly increased.  I've come to

I have noticed a large increase in this as well;

o No trimming of the original message and minimal added material.
o Not quoting the original message, just supplying an out-of context
  answer.
o No subject line.  (Hehehe - I'm sometimes guilty here!)
o Excessive cross-posting.
o "Strange" requests ("please dont reply to me, please reply to
  'strange@email.addre.ss'")
o Long paragraphs that are difficut to quote and comment on, 'cos they
  dont break up easily, and are difficult to read.
o ALL UPPERCASE/all lowercase and no linebreaks messages.
o Screwed up email addresses that are unreply-able.
o Warlord .signatures.

... and these are from folk who are supposed to have a clue! I'm not
talking about lusers.

> Am I just getting intolerant in my old age, or do other people see
> this as a problem as well?

Hehehe! I work for an ISP (the biggest dial-ISP in South Africa) and
the amount of _bad_ email we get from supposedly clued-up folk is
scary.

> Oh, and this way I'll see if -chat is still alive :-)

I'm here!

Mark Murray