Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:57:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD mention in LWN interview with A.C.

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 03:49:51PM -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
> > As I said, Perforce is an excellent product with much to recommend it,
> > but probably not the best solution for FreeBSD.  What we have works quite
> > well, because it was developed by highly motivated developers to pretty
> > much do exactly what FreeBSD needs.  If only *every* development project
> > were this lucky.
> >
> > Especially Linux...  ;^)
>
> http://www.bitkeeper.com/
>
> Looks quite good.  It is missing a number of features from my
> favourite (but not yet implemented) design, but it also has a number
> of nice aspects that I've missed...

BitKeeper sounds surprisingly good actually.  I particularly like the idea
of trees of repositories.  It would make life much easier for larger
projects (like architecture ports or renovating a major bus) which are
being worked on by more than one person but which shouldn't happen in the
main repository.  Support for file renaming is cool too.

I'm not suggesting we change, mind you. Give it a year or two to settle
and see how well it works for the Linux folks.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com