Date:      8 Jan 1999 08:12:09 -0000
From:      "Yusuf Goolamabbas" <yusufg@huge.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Is Berkeley DB package not ELF compliant

Hi , I am relative Newbie FreeBSD user (one week old)
I wanted to install Berkeley DB 2.3.16 to use with OpenLDAP
(http://www.openldap.org) on a 3.0-RELEASE machine

First I added the package 2.2.7-to-2.2-stable as described in the
ports page, then I did

pkg_add
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages-stable/All/db-2.3.16.tgz

I tried to compile OpenLDAP with the above package. With the help of
Kurt Zeilanga (kurt@openldap.org). I traced the problem by the
following command

nm /usr/local/lib/libdb.a | grep db_open

I got the following response

/usr/libexec/elf/nm: cxx_txn.o: File format not recognized

which made me think that db-2.3.16 was not made "ELF compliant"
(?). so I did
pkg_delete db-2.3.16
cd /usr/ports/database/db ; make ; make install
Recompiled Openldap and everything was cool

Can FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE users use packages from the the ports
described via http://www.freebsd.org/ports, or should they only use
/stand/sysinstall (btw, Berkeley DB 2.3.16 is not visible via this
mechanism)

--
Yusuf Goolamabbas
yusufg@huge.net